Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Friendship Quilt


This is one of my Mamaw's quilts that my mom gave to me when I moved back to Dallas. It’s a “friendship quilt”, with 25 different squares, each embroidered with a woman’s name(or in some cases a mother and daughter or family’s name). Though I know almost none of the many women’s names that adorn the squares, I have a ball imagining the camaraderie and conversation that took place while it was being made. The only name I do know, Cora Lee, was my Mamaw’s sister, and I can only assume that this quilt was given to my Mamaw when Cora Lee passed on. It is dated 1934, and for those of you out there that continue on in this art, let me encourage you to sign and date your items. My mom has many quilts that have been given to her by both of my grandmothers, but as far as I know, this is the only one with names and dates. This really provides a living history, and for me, 70+ years later, after the real history has been lost with age, the makers long gone, a clue to its origins.

There is another quilt in my mom’s cupboard that is smaller and made up of thousands of tiny 1”x1” squares. This is my next favorite, for the history that it suggests. All of the different fabrics make me wonder what each of them was for. Was this plaid a shirt for my great grandfather, Dad? Was this floral a new dress for my great grandmother? Is my grandma’s baby blanket memorialized with this tiny chenille patch? I just find it fascinating.

Frisco also enjoys quilts...

and lastly, the sugar molds I promised yesterday... These will be filled with flowers and candles and used as centerpieces on the long tables.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What wonderful gifts handed down to you, simply beautiful! Also love the sugar mold! Great pics!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Rurality said...

Beautiful quilt! Lovely keepsake.

You are definitely on the right track in having farm aspirations while you're young! Many modern homesteaders don't start til they're much older, which makes everything at least three times as hard, physically speaking anyway.

Good luck - I look forward to reading more of your adventures.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love that all of the women signed it. My mom has made me a quilt for almost every important event in my life. She has embroidered dates on most, but unfortunately didn't sign them. I can look back at some of the quilts she made when I was a kid and say, "Oh, that was that green print dress I had! Or there's that red shirt!" I think that those of us who grow up with this tradition have experienced something unique!

Best wishes on your farm aspirations. We have an 8-acre ranchette in Northern New Mexico with 5 horses, chickens, geese, a dog. But do the corporate thing every day to pay the bills, and there's never enough time for the outdoor life we love. I hope you will get to do the whole thing and looking forward to reading about your journey!

Your blog is lovely.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Ontario Wanderer said...

Greetings from Ontario, I just found your blog due to your visit to Rurality. I, too, wish you well on your search for a farm. Having grown up on a farm but lived most of my life in the city, I am pleased to be retired on a piece of rural property. We are not growing crops or animals yet but we do have a dog, some cats and numerous gardens.

Meanwhile, re the quilt, I think the date and names are an excellent idea. My current partner lost her husband about 4 years ago and, as part of working through the grief, made a quilt from his shirts which she plans on giving to his grandson. The quilt has, in addition to his shirts, stitching that shows the fireplace he was building, but I don't think it is signed or dated. I shall pass along your suggestion. I think that would be a fitting close to the quilt project.

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home