Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Learning Curves


Piggy and Camilla have finally found their way to the roost (that first night with Piggy was a fluke, let me tell you). When they first came to me, they started sleeping cozied up under the ramp to the roost (where I would definitely bed down, were I a chicken). Then the third night they discovered the ramp and the oh-so-cozy nest boxes just above their first sleeping spot, which apparently were even MORE comfy. At this point, not wanting them to get used to sleeping and mucking up the nests, I took action. Every night they would tuck themselves into the nestbox, and mean-mommy would come in just before dark and move them up to the roost. Then in the morning I'd get the frantic cheeps of "how did I get here???!!!!" and "it's SOOOO high!!!!!" and "HELP!!!". Eventually they'd find their way down the ramp and out the door for a little breakfast (I'm finding that Piggy IS, in fact, aptly named).

Anyway, last night I was doing my usual chicken-watch, and when they were going to bed I watched intently (perhaps I could give them a little guidance?). It was great! Piggy just hustled up that ramp, and while Camilla had a little more difficulty (a few more steps needed on the ramp?) she eventually made it up there too! YAY! Mission Accomplished.

*On a side note, these are probably the cutest chickens ever. They are TOTALLY inseprable, running around as a pair at all times. See how close they are? It's like that all the time. It was actually kind of hard for me to break up their little cuddle-fest in the nestbox. It was so cute!!!

*Also, my worries about the neighbors vs. the chickens were apparently unfounded. I finally actually met my neighbor on Monday. How, you ask? Why, he wanted to tell me how much he loves my chickens!!!

GO CHICKENS!

3 Comments:

Blogger KFarmer said...

you are a natural! I am luving reading your adventures with the hen's!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Juli said...

That is all good news Lacy!

We're a mess here. We ditched the tractor idea and have since demolished it. We have the foundation started for a coop so hopefully SOME day soon, these girls will have a home other than a cardboard box! They have developed the roosting instinct although I wouldn't say it has been mastered yet. I'll post chicken updates soon. :)

1:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good neighbors are a blessing!

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home