Monday, May 08, 2006

Poultry Sunday

Well, this weekend chock-full of Pre-Poultry Prep. We had the coop from last weekend, so early Saturday morning we headed off to Home depot to buy the last few things we needed to outfit the chicken run and coop. Needless to say, we changed the design once or twice, and finally, while I took a mid-afternoon nap, the Husband put his engineering skills to work and built a 3-D model in the computer of what our run should look like!!!!

Well armed with ideas, we headed BACK to Home Depot, and came back tuckered and ready to start building our enclosure the next day...


Early Sunday morning, well fed with waffles, the Husband started digging the post holes, and I took off to Sachse to pick up our chickens from Hank, the other chicken-hobbyist that was giving us his overflow. Well, what can I say. They are BEAUTIFUL! Hank is a suburban farmer in his own right, and his little backyard is overflowing with native gardening, chickens, rabbits, toads, parakeets, and all of the other things that go along with a well established wildscape.


Sooo--- We set up the chickens temporary home and go to work!


It took ALL DAY (we finished at around 10pm) but isn't she beautiful!!!! It's all made with MOSTLY reclaimed materials, with a few exceptions, notably the posts for the corners.


And last but not least, our two new Americaunas (that's what he said they are, though I've never seen a white Americauna... but what am I, an expert?)

White Chicken (I'm thinking she's the pretty, dumb one)


and Red Chicken (I've decided she's a little smarter... she DID find the roost on the first night!)


I will come up with real names someday... I'm leaning towards Muppet characters...

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to the funny world of chicken lovers, they will keep you entertained for sure! Great job on the coop and run, you guys are naturals!

6:42 AM  
Blogger Juli said...

Excellent update! As far as chicken IQ goes, well, they're not the most brilliant birds out there, that's for sure! My poor girls got stuck out in the rain yesterday. I thought for certain, IF it rains, they'll seek shelter. Nope. Hubby got home to find them wandering aimlessly on the patio, soaked to their gizzards. Free ranging has its pitfalls. :)

BTW... Beaker was my favorite Muppet.

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my shovel :)

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home