Monday, March 27, 2006

Container Gardening

Aaaaah, the joys of city farm living.


Interspersed with a funeral, listening to our wedding band, getting cars repaired, meeting with florists and caterers and taking a last look at the ranch before the wedding, I started my first kitchen garden! My back yard is tree-covered, so I started everything in pots so that after all of the trees leaf out to their fullest, I can find the area that is the MOST sunny (which may in fact be plopped in the middle of my front yard) and move the garden there. I started some seeds in "the lab", our second bathroom/greenhouse.

But just to make sure I didn't feel like a total failure if everything failed to germinate, I bought some sets to start right away in pots. There's an organic nursery/gardening center near my house, so I went there for the first of the plants, but then we went out to East Texas for a funeral on Sunday (my great-uncle Gaston, a lovely man) and on the way home took "the long way" and picked up some other sets and a few local favorites that I remember my Mamaw and Grandma having fresh every year. Purple Hull Peas and Noonday Onions to be exact. I think I'm going to have to find a place in my yard to do the onions (and maybe the peas and edamame), but I also have a many more things to start out in pots. My whole family works in restaurants, so my new "pot plan" is to get them to collect some old pickle buckets and such from the restaurants for me and use them for my bigger veggies.

And last but not least, the "raised" strawberry patch!
One question for those gardeners of you out there-- I got some Crookneck Squash and Cantaloupe sets, but I'm not sure how this will work (or even IF it will work) in pots... Should I get the long window boxes and put them on the ground? Suggestions are Appriciated!!!

HAPPY GARDENING!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wanted to have a pot farm :-)

8:00 AM  
Blogger Kathie said...

Beautiful! I've never grown squash in containers, but I imagine it can be done - that's not very helpful is it? Nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did I see a pot of rosemary, love it!! Your off to a good start, not sure about the squash and cantalope in containers, but hey, give it try, you maybe onto something!

2:00 PM  
Blogger KFarmer said...

We have a local hardware store (where I buy my stuff) that has a guide to tell me when and where to plant the seeds, plants, etc. Do you have something like that there? There is always an old farmer or two hanging around there and they love nothing more than to talk about planting.

Loved your herb planters- I cleaned out my bed this week-end and now am ready to start putting my little seedlings out :)

Good luck with the garden, wedding, chickens, etc. I am so excited for you!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Lacy said...

Wes- oh, wes is soooooooooo funny! ;-)

Katie- someone told me that "basically anything can be grown in pots"... I'm going to test the limits of that statement and see what happens!

Sue- There IS most certainly a pot of rosemary! I don't like it in food generally, but I LOVE the smell! (and I did actually use some in the veggie soup I made last night)

kfarmer- I took your advice and went back to the little nursery near my house and proceeded to make best friends (or most annoying customer) with the employees there :-) They were GREAT! Gave me tips on how to do the canteloupes (a ladder and pantyhose??!?!?!), helped me with companion plants, sold me a bunch of crap I'm sure I don't need... I'm a sucker for a new hobby!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Taradharma said...

I've grown squash in containers, using tomatoe cages and old nylon stockings to hold up the fruit. I have even grown cantalope this way, tho they didn't get terribly big.


You can grow anything in containers -- just be careful because they can try out fast, and you've gotta feed em alot for the same reson.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home