Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Stolen!

This is my first gardening experience. My first time to lovingly tend a plant, and watch fruit grow from my ministrations. I'm sure everyone else knows the satisfaction of watching a tomato start to blush on the vine, waiting for the perfect shade of red, the perfect day to pick and eat your prize, but this is my first time. It is also my first time to go out to harvest my very first tomato off of my very first tomato plant, only to find it dinner for SOME OTHER ANIMAL.


Yes, I've been waiting to pick this particular tomato for two weeks. There are plenty more where it came from (this is my one container plant that is thriving), but this was the first! And some stupid bird came along and ruined it. So what to do with semi-ruined food? Why, the ladies of course. And so, my disappointment becomes their feast...

**note to self: I simply MUST get a better camera... close-ups just do not work with my current one!

7 Comments:

Blogger sugarcreekfarm said...

Aw what a bummer! Somehow the critters know the instant something in the garden is ready to eat. But I'm sure your girls enjoyed it.

What kind of chicken is that? I was given one that looks just like her. One of my favorites, an almost dove-like look to her.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Juli said...

Darn critters! I can relate to the unwanted visitor. Our tomatoes took a leaf-eating beating but they're still producing what look to be gorgeous 'maters! They should start blushing soon... yippee!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lacy, that's why I always plant more than I need, critters love homegrown produce too! You can try the fake snake trick? lol

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same frustration - my tomatoes have been plagued by the local squirrel population so much that we've resorted to covering the bed with a hoop frame and netting in hopes of getting some for our own use. I find it more offensive that the stolen fruits don't even get fully consumed but just get a bite taken and then (in our case) the half eaten tomato is left on the wall to taunt us. I feel your pain!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Lacy said...

sugarcreek- I've been told it is a white americauna. we'll see when she starts laying! and they did enjoy it, it was totally gone the next morning!

girl- amazingly enough, this roma tomato is the only one that hasn't had any pests (except for the birds) but there's TONS of fruits ready to go that I believe my neighbor that's watering my plants will get to enjoy :)

sue- will have to try that! I think i'm going to cover them in bird netting while i'm gone, so we'll see!

jessica- TELL ME ABOUT IT! they got my second tomato too, but just a tiny little nibble, so i actually cut it off and ate the rest... is that unsanitary? oh, well... it was delish!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

I can totally sympathize with you and your tomato. Sue is right--I was told when I moved to Missouri to plant FOUR times what you want--some for you, some for the pests/critters, some for the weather, and some just to die (or something like that).

I can highly recommend my camera for up-close shots, esp. with the macro mode (just push one button to turn it on). It's easy to use even for a total non-technical person like me. There's a link to it now in the sidebar on my blog. It'll also show you the newer model for the same price. I can't vouch for that one, but it's probably as good or better. : )

5:03 PM  
Blogger KFarmer said...

When I plant, I always figure 1/4 to the bugs, 1/4 to mother nature, 1/4 for friends/family and I get the rest- My dog ate my first cucumber this year; then she decided to munch on one of my first watermelons. She was put on garden probation... ; )

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home